At present, the world is surrounded by software, and business environment is not an exception. Going online can bring it to the next level. That is why being aware of software development is vital for most companies, especially regarding enterprise programs and mobile app.
What is software development?
Software development is the process of writing the source code, i. e. programming and maintaining applications, systems, and other components. It coding implies using computer languages, and their type and quantity depend on the difficulty of a project.
In a broader meaning, it involves everything from building the concepts of the desired soft products to their integration and going live.
Development of computer application for business means boosting its competitiveness and uniqueness, so the final goods are primarily tailored to the concrete firm needs. But still there are four basic types of it:
- System software: operating systems, utilities, hardware management, etc.
- Programming soft: text editors, linkers, debuggers, etc.
- Application software: office suites, data management software, security programs, etc.
- Embedded soft: telecommunications networks, industrial robots, etc.
Its development is conducted by programmers, software engineers and developers. They operate as outsourcing specialists or work as a team for a special agency or web design company specializing in software.
Main steps in this process
- Needs identification.Detecting functions and services the software should provide, as well as strengths, weaknesses and opportunities of a product.
- Requirement analysis. Agreeing on the technical and user demands, and tasks for developers. The phase also sets the beginning of the relationship between quality assurance and software engineering team, and it should be valid until a product is released.
- Design. Drawing up technical specifications, risks, composition of developers’ team, applicable technologies, time, budget, deadlines, and architectural engineering.
- Development and implementation. Building interfaces by front-end and back-end developers, working with databases, reviewing the code, checking of a pilot version, etc.
- Testing. Checking for bugs and assessing the product’s performance.
- Deployment and maintenance. Releasing the product and creating a servicing team to manage issues clients encounter while using it.
The steps can be organized in different ways. There are six major software development life cycle (SDLC) kinds to choose as a course of work:
- Waterfall Model. The oldest and most straightforward methodology: finish one stage, then move on to the next one. Each phase has its own project plan.
- V-Shaped Model. Like the previous item, phases go strictly one by one. The methodology is useful when there are no unknown requirements.
- Iterative Model. It gives a working version early in the process and make it less expensive to implement changes. Just a set of software requirements, testing, evaluating and marking further needs.
- Spiral Model. A flexible methodology taking repetition as its basis: the goods passes through all development stages over and over until completed. The way results in a highly customized product.
- Big Bang Model. A high-risk method: little time for planning, and the majority of resources are thrown toward development at once.
- Agile Model. It separates the goods into cycles, emphasizes interaction between developers and customers, and quickly delivers a working product by ongoing releases, each one goes with small changes.
Software development tools
Since software development requires several IT departments to come together, there are a variety of instruments. The most important categories of tools are Integrated Debugging Environments (IDE), build means, source control, bug trackers, profilers, automated deployment/continuous integration ways and testing techniques.
The importance and benefits
Our approach to software development
Reksoft provides full-cycle software development using innovations and smart business solutions. The technologies we apply and the way we follow soft design principles helps to cut the customer’s future expenses on IT, optimize product launch time and ensures efficiency. Namely:
- Agile & DevOps.
- Startups support.
- Machine learning.
- Internet of things.
Reksoft integrates its teams into our customers organizations where they perform everything from technology consulting to maintenance. Each IT solution we develop comes with assistance, tutorial and technical support.